Total Pageviews

Friday 18 August 2017

"It Was I," said the Magpie











"It was I,"
Said the Magpie,
As it cast a beady eye,
"It was I who took your gold
And took your trinkets.
It wasn't who you thought it was,
The one you sacked with all that fuss,
As honest as the day is long— how could you think it?"

"It was I,"
Said the Magpie,
As it flew into the sky,
"It was I who took your ring
And took your necklace.
And you, with little thought it seems,
Assaulted her with shrieks and screams
And accusations wild and vile, and reckless."

"It was I,"
Said the Magpie,
As it gave a raucous cry,
"It was I who saw her leave
And saw her weeping.
And you will toss and turn at night,
Now not so sure that you were right.
Is, perhaps, it guilt, that stops you sleeping?"

"It was I,"
Said the Magpie,
"Who watched her shrink and die,
The victim of a deed not of her making.
And you are too proud to concede
That you have done an awful deed
That haunts you at your sleeping and your waking."


Copyright Tracey Meredith 2017





No comments:

Post a Comment