Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 March 2016

Sabaton: the P&J's First Rock Concert:





So, on Tuesday I'm off to see Sabaton, a Swedish (I think) rock band, who enjoy, it would seem, singing songs about war. Hmm. Not quite what I mean. I don't mean they glorify it. They perform, in effect, a military history book set to heavy metal. I've seen many a post by erstwhile fans, claiming that they would have passed their history GCSEs if Sabaton had sung the curriculum.
They aren't my cup of tea, I have to confess, but I don't mind them. If my son insists we have dinner accompanied by Sabaton, I don't say no. They are, actually, quite listenable. But I wouldn't buy an album. Well, not for myself.
Why then, I hear you ask, are you going to spend four or five hours of your life (there are 3 bands playing, before you wonder. This is Sabaton, not Yes.) shredding what's left of your hearing and throwing your back out, standing for, potentially, 5 hours (no seats. Please, Mr Brodén, if you play Bristol again, try and get the Colston)? Because, as some of you will have already twigged, they are my son's favourite band, and my son is only 16. Old enough you say. Well, if he had someone else to go with, maybe, but he hasn't, so it's either me or Dad. He'd rather go with me. At least, I assume he would. His father's (who is, I hasten to add, providing the transport to and from, so he is making some effort) response to any new rock band is, it sounds a bit like Queen, and I did at least recognise the homage to Judas Priest on one of Sabaton's tracks. Kudos to me, eh? And I've got a couple of kosher Judas Priest shirts, so I can at least blend in as a mature rocker. I will not, however, be head banging (rheumatism in the neck) or playing air guitar ( ditto back and hands). And I might take a couple of bits of cotton wool with me, just in case it's too loud.
If I make it out alive, I'll report back on Wednesday. Possibly Thursday, if I'm still in shock. Does anyone know if they serve tea and coffee at the O2 Academy....?

Here's a review of the current tour so you can see what I'm in for.
And a link to some  Sabaton on youtube in case you're interested.
And some Barry Manilow, if you're not. See, I aim to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment