Total Pageviews

Saturday 1 April 2017

#GardeningTales Easter?! Already?

 I'm really looking forward to the Easter hols. It's my favourite break. There's plenty that needs doing outside, and there's such a sense of achievement when the garden has been tidied up, and things you planted in hope rather than expectation all start coming up. And there's always a chance the weather will be just perfect- for drying, for painting, for gardening.
  The window man has been to measure up for two more double-glazed units, and on Wednesday, some chap called Warren is calling round to give me a quote for installing solar panels. Well, I figure as I'm only getting about £20 a year from my savings, I might as well invest them in something that not only will save me money, but might make me a little, too.
  The potatoes are coming up, but are under random attack from what I suspect is another one of our furry friends. I've been leaving him slices of sweet potato in the hope it will at least spoil his appetite.
 The garlic and the shallots are also looking good, and the teeny tiny carrots and parsnips are just emerging. The onions are also starting to green, and if the slugs don't get them, the beetroot are emerging too.
 The peppers, aubergines and tomatoes are in their pots and looking healthy, though there's still no sign of the  cucumbers and the slugs have had all the Chinese cabbage. And the rhubarb- well, that's looking so good, I don't want to pick it.
  It's going to be a bit of an experiment for a couple of years, this kitchen garden, but I don't half feel the pressure's off, now I've given up the allotment. Apparently it's been converted, along with the site next to  it, to plots for the disabled. Which is nice.
 To keep my neighbour's perennially encroaching  garden at bay, we have invested in a hedge trimmer. I've never had one before, mainly because I've never owned a hedge- but it's ideal for cutting back thickly growing foliage of an indeterminate nature. The yew has now (mostly) been cut free from the clutches of Clive's garden, and so probably has the apple tree, but we'll have to hope for a decent gale to blow the unwanted bits out before we'll know for sure. I can't see any other safe way to remove it at the moment. Tomorrow, I think, will be a feet-up day, to catch up on a bit of reading, or maybe some writing...she laughed hysterically. By the way, did I tell you
  Barry and the Dinosaur King is out on the 6th of April? And that it will also available as a paperback from Amazon. And that Growned,the FREE eBOOK, is also available as a paperback from Amazon? Just thought I'd mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment