Total Pageviews

Friday 28 July 2017

Feed the Birds, Tuppence a Bag


 Well, more like £20.00 actually. You know you're feeding them well when the Mafia and the hoodlums (starlings and magpies) move in.  The above is one of my new best mates in the garden. It nearly did itself an injury trying to find its way out of the greenhouse this afternoon, but did a sterling job clearing up the mess I made when a poorly sited bag of meal-worms fell on the floor this morning, so I tried not to laugh. Frankly, I'm surprised it could still get airborne.
 We've had a lot of new families moving into the neighbourhood this spring, partly thanks to the overgrownedness (it's a word I've just made up) of my neighbour's garden, which has provided a lot of secure nesting sites, and my lack of a cat to threaten them all. I'm trying to build up a bird community to help me with the pests when (I hope) my organic garden gets into full swing next year. I'm not quite sure what use the magpies and their kin are going to be, though, other than providing the entertainment. I just witnessed a magpie trying to jump up onto the apple tree trunk, completely misjudging it and almost knocking itself unconscious. It tried to look like it meant to do it and wandered dazedly under the garden table. I'm assuming it's a youngster and hasn't quite mastered its wings yet. It's either that or some of the apples lying around the garden are fermenting. That being the case, I look forward to the spectacle of some raucous parties among my corvine acquaintances as the summer draws to a close.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment